News Aldi snow gear sale: 2017 - Sat 20 May

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by cold wombat, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Bluebird

Bluebird Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

No, no, just the normal ski jackets. I do have a knit jacket though. It's great for outdoor winter exercising.

2. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

3. LMB

LMB Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Good God, they do the same thing wrt Aussie conditions - keep you warm and dry. The tech differences are only going to be noticeable in extreme conditions by people in the snow a LOT.

The people heading up to LM are more likely to be snowplayers bringing the kids for an annual or once only snowman building trip. Why waste good money going for fashion.... ALDI will do.

Annabuzzy and cold wombat like this.
  4. Hemsley

Hemsley Well-Known Member

5. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

No. They'd be better off hiring their gear from me, and then they wouldn't have to store it for 12 months waiting for their next day at the snow, only to find out that the kids had grown out of it.

nezumi likes this.
  6. LMB

Season Pass Gold

Except they probably also wear it to cold Saturday Morning sport, or if they've gotta duck out to do a pick up/drop off on a chilly morning/evening. And at under $50 it's a useful piece of clothing.

However, I do now see why you're anti ALDI gear. And I get it, it would very much eat into your bottom line for hire gear.

RTL, Ozgirl and gaz35 like this.
  7. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

No. Some of their gear is good. Other gear (chains and toboggans especially), not so good. I sell ex-rental clothing (jackets, pants, kids suits) for $40 - lots buy it for the footy or kids playing outside or herding the cattle or whatever. Many buy it for snow use. Still in excellent condition - maybe a small stain or scuffed cuffs etc.

#107 teckel, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
  8. tay

tay Just Registered

I have bought sled from these guys, they also did a good bargain on shipment

http://www.northernsledworks.com/

9. Scooter

Scooter Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I really rate the bags - great bit of kit. I grabbed one when they first offered them and found it was great to travel with and could fit all of our (2 adults 2 kids) ski clothing and non ski bag equipment (like helmets) in it. Loved the 3 compartments in the lid and the big bottom one. As I used it to store said gear out of season I brought another one and the newer ones are a little bit bigger than the original ones so not sure what the deal is there (maybe the originals were within spec?). Last couple of years have travelled with the bigger one and never had any issues however it has always been < 25Kg and I have used the compression/lid straps to pull it tight (the older one operates slightly better in this regard maybe because the newer one is that little bit bigger and it is certainly stiffer) so it is never over full. Guessing if you really filled it up to capacity it would be massive.

In regards to Chains etc. I have noticed that my local store has basically had them out on the floor the whole year. Have noticed that they have been doing that lately - i.e. keeping unsold stuff on the floor. I seem to remember in past years they would clear the old/unsold stock and not keep it on the floor so was that happening at other stores?

10. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

There are only 3 certainties in life, death, taxes and @teckel not happy about the aldi ski sale, i'm only disappointed they aren't selling the wooden snow sleds with metal rails anymore

RTL, rocketboy and dibl0c like this.
  11. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

a) People are only happy if they get a bargain there. As I don't purchase from Aldi, I am neither happy nor unhappy about it
    b) So you want angry and unhappy people who go to the snow? Angry because they're told by the mountain that their purchase is a waste of money and can't be used. I like people to enjoy their experience and for everything to go smoothly. That way they're likely to come again and maybe develop a true love for the snow whether skiing or boarding. And the sale of those toboggans didn't impact me because they could never use them, but it did mean unhappy customers.

My interest is in the customer having a great time at the snow. :)

currawong likes this.
  12. hpsauce

hpsauce Dedicated Member

Kids kit good value. Especially the pants I reckon.....which can be hard to find at reasonable price in retail stores.
    Kids beat up pants. And I don't wince seeing my kids give Aldi pants a kicking.
    Personally.....I would not buy accessories. Gloves, snow boots, socks etc. many a perfectly good day has been made s#!t by wet and cold hands or bunched socks.
    @CarveMan .....WA and QLD strong online sales makes sense hey?. First, its not like you can pop to the mountain for a long weekend ski. So when you do it, you do it right. Second, a relative lack of local retail competition for this sort of kit means people go online. For other goods not so much.....like I doubt many in QLD or WA are shopping online for a surfboard (happy to be corrected...)

CarveMan likes this.
  13. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Correct re: QLD and WA in that they tend to book in advance so they get organised for their pre-booked trips so they don't do what more locals do and wait and see what the season is like.

14. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

When/if we get a good year, toboggans can be used outside of resorts... just saying... I'll never forget putting my daughter on a Toboggan near Cabramurra. She had a huge smile on her face as she hurtled down the hill at speed. Luckily she stopped before the creek and it was a long, long haul back up the hill.

15. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Game day.

Anyone else heading in today?

16. Izzy

Izzy Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

17. skinavy

skinavy Dedicated Member

Probably wander up and get new snow boots for no.1 daughter, merino socks for me and merino top for no.2 daughter. Don't need much this year.

18. coolair

coolair Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Gold

In the q for 15 minutes, 10th in line, my daughter kitted herself out, bots, pants, jacket, me, two pair of socks
    & merino thermal top, soxs seem a bit thin.
    out in six minutes.
    Was like seagulls going after thrown hot chips.

19. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Same.........straight in at 8.15am (big crowd). Out in 10 minutes with woolen socks for the family, 1 x thermals for daughter, 4 x goggles.

20. tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker
    Season Pass Gold

3 pairs of socks.
    Much less crowded and frantic this year at Katoomba.

21. absentskier

absentskier Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I picked up new pants and jackets for a couple of my kids and a few other things. In and out in 10 minutes.

22. Kieran

Kieran Addicted Member

In at 0830 at Majura Park, out before 9 with helmets, jackets, thermals, socks and mittens for the kids. Insane for the first few minutes (people scrambling for toboggans and the apres boots????), but then calmed down substantially.

23. Xwing

Xwing Active Member

It was just like those gulls. Within seconds previously well arranged stacks had become a melee. A line up of about 40 people in Gosford before it opened at 8.30. I had a laugh looking around as the rest of the place was empty and the gulls were going hard at the chips.

24. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Mission accomplished. Not toooo bad - line only about 200m long from the front door at 8.30. One of the few occasions one will see all checkouts open at Aldi.

DidSurfNowSki likes this.
  25. Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Insane in Box Hill South Aldi.
    Went in to see stock levels (and to get eggs)
    Grocery aisles empty, Ski sale aisles, at least 100 people if not more. Checkouts nearly empty with all checkouts open. Should be heaps of stock left after today. Will be getting a couple of items tomorrow.

26. coolair

Season Pass Gold

Have to go back for round 2, Daughter #2 decides that stuff is ok and wants some.

27. coolair

Season Pass Gold

same shop.

Xwing likes this.
  28. tcross

tcross Dedicated Member

Ended up with a fair bit of stuff to take back but the 3L pro? ski pants are a good buy. I have always lived in bibs but for $99 they will be handy for warmer skiing. Most of the thermal and knit tops are very short in length with the bottoms being long. Keeping a Softshell jacket and leather gloves as a backup incase of a mid season failure.

29. tcross

tcross Dedicated Member

Overall a decently cheap haul for the mess that was the rush here. Socks are in the wash to see if they will actually work. Heaps of stretch in the marino and the Poly socks are a little thick.

Attached Files:

30. Mtn2Sea

Mtn2Sea Active Member

Went at 10.30 and not a Merino Sock left. Didn't really need them but seem to buy a pair or two each year just in case. Obviously very popular item.

person s likes this.
  31. PMG

PMG Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Haven't had a lot of luck with their merino socks in the past. Mega shrinkage.

32. skivet

skivet Active Member

Gold Coast, 50 people line up, in and by the time I ventured to ski stuff, most of the serious stock has gone! Will wander back this afternoon but don't expect there to be much left, lucky I am well stocked up from previous years

33. Kenziepettit

Kenziepettit Active Member
    30 Day Pass

Just headed in to see in sunbury
    Plenty of stock left, more than last year seemingly. About 100 people still digging through, even at this time

34. absentskier

absentskier Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I was there first thing.

35. rocketboy

rocketboy Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Those kids just keep getting bigger. At this point I'm still debating whether to get a new pair of Goggles and maybe some M size compression ware for Awesome Boy. The market must be nearly saturated with product by now. Cooma will be well stocked until the School Holidays as they shift unsold stuff south.

Lady Penelope and LMB like this.
  36. rocketboy

rocketboy Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

In 1970 my dear mother had to change me three times after repeatedly interfacing with the "holes" at Smigs.

DidSurfNowSki likes this.
  37. tcross

tcross Dedicated Member

Can confirm the shrinkage. Just pulled them out of the dryer. Very slippery underfoot in the boot with two different insoles. Not much warm to them either

38. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

they're at least as good as anything else on the market and they stay up
    if you put wool socks in the dryer you'll get shrinkage

gaz35, LMB, currawong and 1 other person like this.
  39. tcross

tcross Dedicated Member

Conners likes this.
  40. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I think we've done our last Aldi snow sale. Size 8 jacket and pants for the little Miss, plus apr├Ęs snow boots for her. That stuff will cover two years, possibly 3.

41. blutek

blutek Dedicated Member

Going down now to the local to have a look.
    Always come back with something you don't need - a CO monitor alarm on deep markdown, on Wednesday, just incase we buy a gas heater this winter.

42. PMG

PMG Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Exactly. If you can avoid putting ski socks in a dryer at any stage, well done.

43. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I never do it
    a peg hanger and the heating usually do the work fairly quickly

skichanger likes this.
  44. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Wandered into the Rosebud store at 10.30, bought the merino thermals and a spare pair of goggles for my son. Not a huge draw card down there.

45. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Cleaned up at the sale this morning.

Kitted out Mr 3 year old and bought a bunch of stuff for daycare.

Also got compression tights, pants and some socks for myself.

Apresski, skivet and DidSurfNowSki like this.
  46. Bluebird

Bluebird Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I didn't go to the sale this year but my mother (not a skier) went for the first time to get some merino wool layers and a knit jacket. She didn't believe me when I said to get there early and prepare for crowds. She described it as being like Myer on Boxing Day morning. I think she was a little taken aback by the popularity of the Aldi ski sale!

47. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Never put wool anything on the dryer. The aldi merino socks shrink a bit even if you look after them but still excellent socks
    You don't need much warmth in a ski sock, at least in aus. Thin is good, assuming your boots fit

48. LMB

Season Pass Gold

Cannington WA at 8.20, by 8.30 there was no parking left whatsoever.

I thought we might sneak under the radar for the first year in WA, but no such luck. Some people in the queue were shocked.

I took 3 friends (newbies) and had a list from others who couldn't make it.
    Had my gold coins for the trolleys.
    Had 8 huge IKEA bags to pack all the gear into. We worked together, grabbing everything we thought any of us might want then going through it and putting back doubles. Also worked together packing each other's stuff at the checkout and protecting each other's goodies in the trolley. (There were multiple trolley pilfering attempts! RUDE).

I have however created a monster. The married couple outfitting thier family of 4 went to 3 more Aldis after leaving me and managed to get EVERYTHING they needed. They're converts.

My other friend was laughing saying she didn't think she was emotionally ready for the smash n grab and was glad I led the way!

Fun times!

49. gettingtooold

gettingtooold Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Did anyone check out the soft shell jackets?. Thinking about having a look. (if they have any left)