1. Use the Force Filters Luke Guest!

Skis     Snowboard     Telemark     Clothing     Boots     Bindings     Accessories     Roof Racks     Chains     Outdoor Gear     Wanted     Free     Sold

Chains Aldi Snow Chains + headlight globes

Discussion in 'Gear Swap' started by hipo, Dec 11, 2016.

1. hipo

hipo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Sadly and happily time to say farewell to the VW Passat..
    So I have aldi snow chains SC90 and
    2 sets of H7 headlight globes one set 100w unopened, the other set is Navara Plus 120 done 5 hrs running time.(Cooma to Sydney)
    in the North Sydney / Willoughby area

**Will exchange for a cold beer**

Chains fit following tyres:

2. hipo

hipo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Bump
    Headlights are gone.
    Chains still looking for a new home, Have only done a short test run - may be possible to drop off in Jindy.

3. K_Bird

K_Bird Active Member
    Season Pass Silver

Hi! I could be interested in the chains if they still need a new home. Just need to check they will fit my 2013 model Passat.

4. hipo

hipo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

@K_Bird The chains are 8 or 9 mm and are the only ones that fitted my older Passat unless I spent big money on the Spider type chains. You would have to check the clearance for your 2013 Passat.

5. grangr

grangr Just Registered

Chains still available?
    What year was your Passat?
    I've got a 2008 model and would like to get up to the snow more this season so these could be an option

6. hipo

hipo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

@grangr Still available.
    Passat was 2000 model.

7. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

it's the tyre size that counts, not the year model

8. hipo

hipo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

The year model can be important with the Passat as inside clearance between the tyre and suspension is restricted on most Passat models. The tyres fitted were 205-55-R16
    hence why I went for these chains which fit a tight clearance:)

K_Bird likes this.
  9. K_Bird

K_Bird Active Member
    Season Pass Silver

Have finally managed to check the car. I confess that car-related things are not typically my domain.

The tyre says 235/40 R 18 W. This is similar to the numbers listed on the package, except the last number on the pack is 17, not 18.

There is only a small amount of clearance between the tyre and the wheel arch (is that what it's called?!) hence why I thought these might work.

I shall consult Mr Bird who actually knows stuff about cars.

That is, of course, assuming @grangr doesn't want them, given my extreme rudeness and slackness in replying. Thanks for your patience @hipo

10. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Don't. They won't fit. 235/40R18 requires larger chains than 235/40R17. Near enough is not good enough. Common problem with people purchasing chains in Aldi.

11. K_Bird

K_Bird Active Member
    Season Pass Silver

Thanks! I was trying to google to understand if the 18 vs 17 actually meant a different size, or some meaningless number like a tread-design code that doesn't actually relate to the size of the tyre/chain. I also wasn't sure if the R and W were relevant either.

Over to you @grangr !

12. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

The 17 & 18 numbers refer to the tyre width. Men often refer to a 17 inch or 18 inch rim - apparently the bigger the better for petrol heads. So obviously, the width of the tyre (the part that contacts the tarmac) means a bigger chain is required for 18 inch, rather than 17 inch.

K_Bird likes this.
  13. K_Bird

K_Bird Active Member
    Season Pass Silver

Ah, makes sense! Thank you.

This also explains why my wannabe rev-head husband opted for the 18s over the 17s in a desperate attempt to inject some cool-factor into what it totally just a family station wagon :rolleyes:

teckel likes this.
  14. hipo

hipo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Ahh Tecs, you really need to get over putting down anything that comes from Aldi. Just because some of their products may be in compitition to your business, it does not automatically mean they are inferior or people purching Aldi products are to be belittled. As many on this forum have testified they are more than happy with the quality and longevity of their Aldi snow gear purchases.

Re tyre sizing, the 17 & 18 numbers do NOT refer to tyre width. An experienced chain fitter would know they refer to the rim size as per the following example taken from the Bridgestone website.

Example: 215/60R15
    • 215 is the width of the tyre in millimetres.
    • 60 is the aspect ratio or tyre profile.
    • R means it is radial construction.
    • 15 is the diameter of the wheel rim in inches
    @K_Bird Thanks for your reply. It is possibley that the chains may not fit the tyres on your 18inch rims. However, if it were convenient for you, I more than happy to slip them on your tyres so that
    1) we can see if they give sufficient wrap around the tyre to be secure
    and
    2) you can check the inside clearance to give you an idea of what is required.
    Cheers
    Hipo

RTL, NewTurns and Arsas like this.
  15. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Sorry, you were right about the width vs rim - I was distracted by other things at the time. Regardless, the chains are the wrong size for her tyre.
    But I was not putting down Aldi product, but Aldi service, which is zilch. Any half decent chain retailer will check the tyres on your car before selling or hiring you chains. The fact that Aldi doesn't give a proverbial about your tyre size, and even if they could leave the store to check, most check-out chicks would have no idea how to do it is a major problem. Aldi is not there to provide a service to any customers; but to make a profit.
    However, I can tell you now there's a big difference between size 90 for 235/40R17 and size 100 for 235/40R18. In good brands, there's sizes 95 and 97 in between.
    Many Aldi customers think like K_Bird - it seems close enough, or like you - I'll see if I can make it fit. At least KBird recognises she doesn't know.

BTW @K_Bird, the W is the speed rating - the letters are the only part of the code that are irrelevant.

#15 teckel, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  16. Arsas

Arsas New Member

Hipo is correct. Last number is the rim size.

#16 Arsas, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  17. Egbert

Egbert Dedicated Member

The 60 means the tyre wall height is 60% of the width ( so 129mm in this example).

18. hipo

hipo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

@teckel Wrong again.That is not what I said nor implied.

@K_Bird A little bit more info re chains, clearance and the Passat.
    Another important factor is the thickness of the chain (think thickness of a rope.) Chains for non commercial passenger vehicles generally vary from 6mm(rare and expensive)through to 16mm in thickness.
    This is important when considering whether the chain will rub against the car. As well as the clearance from the tyre to the wheel arch panel on the outside of the tyre, you will also have to check the clearance from the inside of the tyre to the suspension and break components.
    On the Passat there is minimal clearance on the inside hence the requirement for a thin chain. Alternately there are chains that fit / bolt to the outside of the wheel hub and do not need any clearance on the inside of the tyre. These can be quite expensive and some people query their effectiveness.
    As mentioned above, I more than happy to slip the chains on your car and show you or Mr K_Bird the issues so that you end up with chains that work for you.
    Cheers

19. grangr

grangr Just Registered

Hey everyone,
    sincere apologies for the delay in response! It's been a busy few weeks.
    Thanks so much for all of the feedback - I'll endeavor to have a look the specs this weekend to see whether they suit or not.
    Will make a note now and let you know asap.
    Cheers

20. hipo

hipo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

:thumbs: