Air Canada to start BNE to Vancouver flights June 2016!

Discussion in 'Flights' started by Ozgirl, Jul 9, 2015.

Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

http://www.ausbt.com.au/air-canada-tips-new-brisbane-vancouver-route-for-boeing-787

:thumbs: Izzy likes this.
    David Andrews

David Andrews Active Member

great for SE Qld skiers/boarders. No one wants to fly through Australia's worst airport SYD to get to Canada-defeats the purpose of paying a premium to fly nonstop. Will impact Air NZ, mostly we would have thought.

David Andrews

big question is, how much extra will Queenslanders pay to fly nonstop ? Plus many have Qantas ff pts & you can often get Qantas ff tickets eg. LAX/Seattle or Vancouver or Kelowna.

Maybe Air Canada is looking at split of passengers being mostly Canadians inbound to OZ ?

They obviously have noted that many Canadians on YVR/SYD flights are heading north to Qld.

piolet

piolet Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

Sydney aint that bad, perth takes the crown for worst is oz, by a significant margin!

:thumbs: LMB likes this.
    David Andrews

you're kidding right. No one in their right mind wants to waste up to 6 hours extra go via & changing terminals at SYD.

Izzy

Izzy Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Great news for us North Coast NSWers too!

piolet

Obviously direct is always better but you may be overselling the sydney problems. Amazeballs

:thumbs: benchives likes this.
    benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Sydney airport is fine, if you live in Sydney. If you're not, then to quote Keating, you're camping out.

:thumbs: piolet likes this.
    David Andrews

If you live in Sydney, you don't realise what a crappy airport it is, as you don't have to change terminals @ SYD.

David Andrews

the new nonstop could lead to a revival in Qlders going to Canadian resorts. At present it takes 3 flights minimum to get from Se Qld to Kelowna, Kamloops & other BC airports.

It might all come down to the price differential between going nonstop & via LAX.

piolet

Ive done it heaps. Not that bad, htfu. Could be better of course. Having to collect and recheck bags is probably the worst part but thats a reg requirement.

The extra leg onwards always sucks, no two ways about it. Thats the biggest issue and you can get around it by paying more for direct.

:thumbs: LMB likes this.
    David Andrews

only have to collect & recheck bags inbound, ie. into SYD internationally & then domestically onto another OZ port.

Just heard a rumour that Jetstar might be flying nonstop to Vancouver from OZ east coast. The Qantas group employee didn't say whether it would be out of Sydney or Brisbane. If out of Sydney, guess it would work like Sydney/Honolulu where both Qantas & Jetstar fly nonstop, although at this time of year, Qantas only flies it nonstop twice a week using A330's & Jetstar does it 6 times a week using 787's.

chunky

chunky Old And Crusty

If that was true I would take a punt at Brisbane to compete against AC's new flight plan otherwise they eat into Qantas's share out of Sydney.

David Andrews

Jetstars pricing would probably blow Air Canada "out of the water"

chunky

chunky Old And Crusty

Would be very keen to see that happen. more competition on the direct route can't hurt consumers.

David Andrews

wondering if Air Canada puts a lot less seats on their 787's cf. Jetstar, meaning Air Canada aircraft would probably have much greater range than Jetstar aircraft if that is the case. Also dependent on which engines each has.

piolet

Of course they'll have less overall but more yield seats. However jetstar is set up for regional flying rather than ulr

David Andrews

maybe then Jetstar could do a "splash & dash" in somewhere like Fiji or ?

They already fly Sydney/Fiji & Gold Coast/Fiji nonstop a total of 7 days a week.

piolet

config wise
    rather a qf 789

David Andrews

suppose QF could simply take a few 789's destined for JQ. Would only need do 2 return flights per week.

piolet

jetstar have 12 787-8s ordered
    nothing else slated

David Andrews

ok QF could take some 787-8's then ?

piolet

they dont want em
    they want the 9
    fingers crossed

David Andrews

SurelyUOTE="piolet, post: 2696520, member: 6852"]they dont want em
    they want the 9
    fingers crossed[/QUOTE]
    Surely Boeing would let them switch ?

piolet

Switch what? QF already have 50 options for the 9, exclusively. They have maintained they dont want the small one. Its just years late plus qf canned the early deliveries. Bring it on
    Jetstar got the 8 as they came years earlier before the 9 was available and whilst they still wanted to invest in jetstar.

David Andrews

swap a 787-8 order for a 787-9 order ? Or just use the 787-8's now. Qantas has taken A330's from Jetstar. What's the big deal ?

Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Season Pass Gold

maybe they don't have enough FF points to nail the deal.

:thumbs: Normo, scullee, Ozgirl and 5 others like this.
    piolet

Sorry thought u meant the orders.
    They could but they wont. The 330s are being returned, not taken ;)

try hard

try hard Active Member

I can only just suck up a 9 hour overnight on Jetstar to Honolulu but 14 hrs to YVR, Not for all the tea in China. I have standards :)

Ozgirl

I remember years ago the first time i flew Jetstar...

It was Sydney to the Gold Coast (there was partly my mistake...)

It was very early in Jetstar's history and i remember clearly turning to my companion and saying - "this is the problem with low cost air travel every man and his dog can afford to done it!"

I seriously can't remember ever flying it since? Hmm maybe one time to Melbourne!

So yeah don't even do it domestically - let alone Hawaii or Vancouver!

A friend of mine just swapped from flying (hostie) from j* to QF... i genuinely wrote on her facebook wall "yay at least there's a chance i will see you now"

Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Season Pass Gold

I have done J* Melb-Brisbane on a few occasions..prefer virgin though any day. Would probably never consider it for a long haul no matter the cost

Ozgirl

Virgin is no longer LLC though?

chunky

chunky Old And Crusty

I haven't been caught with it but on JS they have cancelled in the past and re-scheduled at a moment's notice if something doesn't suit them.

Ozgirl

So apparently for 'on time' records it is better to cancel than delay....

above kind makes sense now doesn't it!

chunky

chunky Old And Crusty

Ah yes!

piolet

Cheaper than running a half empty ac. A problem with the LCC/low yield model, saves so much dough to can em

David Andrews

all airlines do that, not just LCC's

David Andrews

OTP is manipulated. Some routes 3 airlines fly same aircraft but take up to 35 minutes longer, so they can take off late & still be on time.

skivet

skivet Active Member

I know this is an old thread now but looking for any feedback on the direct flight Brisbane to Vancouver. Also does Qantas have a direct flight now? Is the trip as bad as the many bad reviews air Canada gets? Time wise would be a great saving for us.

Harper11

Harper11 Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

I would be interested in feed back as well

Biggest problem i foresee on the bne yvr direct flight is the price. Need to keep an eye out for specials

Chowder11

Chowder11 Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

Ill be taking this flight on the 17th Feb.
    Ill let you know my thoughts once complete.

I must say in advance, I'm a pretty laid back tolerant traveller though, so to get a bad review from me, they would have to be pretty damn bad.
    Im a 2 sleeping tablet wake me up when we get long haul traveller, my only request is a window seat, both to look out for take off and landing and to not be disturbed when I am in my zombie sleeping state.

P.s. Im rambling now, but stilnox gets a bad wrap due to the abuse by the sports people, but trust me, there is no better sleeping tablet out there, mostly because they don't make you drowsy on arrival and for me at 6'4 and 100kgs they knock me out pretty good, just obviously avoid alcohol, excessive alcohol, I usually have a 1 or 2 max beers during meals on a long haul flight.

:thumbs: skivet likes this.
    skichic

skichic Addicted Member

I take them too but I'm about half your size and 1/2 a tab gets me out for 5 hours. There was that one time when I took 2 tabs on board with me and must have woken at some time and taken no 2. I don't remember getting through customs and home, luckily I wasn't driving!

:thumbs: Chowder11 likes this.
    Harper11

Harper11 Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Thanks Grant!

:thumbs: benchives likes this.
    benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

He couldn't hack it

:thumbs: Annitowa likes this.
    Chowder11

Chowder11 Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

Yep they are strong things.
    2 tablets will knock me out for a decent 10-12 hrs

sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

I use Imovane or its generic version, Zopiclone. Half a small pill puts me away for 4 hours. YVR SYD is a one and a half tablet flight!

:thumbs: Chowder11 likes this.
    Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

I'll be on it in 2 days. And yes I snapped up a special. NTL/BNE/YVR/YKA and return $1670.

:thumbs: piolet and Chowder11 like this.
    Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

As a shiftworker I'm getting good results from melatonin. Should help me on the flight.

Chillybin

Chillybin Active Member

A bit off topic.. I'm flying Air NZ on The 26th to Auckland-Vancouver driving to Calgary then flying Calgary-Vancouver-Auckland-Brisbane for $1558.50. I have extra baggage 2 x23kg entire trip. I'm at a wedding in Auckland for 2 days so it works out great but for the price the inconvenience of going to Auckland before Brisbane on the way home isn't a big deal. I'm not sure on Air Canada so interested to hear your feedback.

JoeKing

JoeKing Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Interested to hear yours. :)

:thumbs: Chillybin and skivet like this.