1. 17 Feb 2014. Looking for Conversation, Sports Bar, Tech Talk and the rest of the Apre topics?
    You must now register and be logged-in to view these topics. Registration is free and only takes a few minutes.

Air Aisa - Japan Flights

Discussion in 'Flights' started by ratherb@thesnow, Mar 18, 2013.

ratherb@thesnow

ratherb@thesnow Well-Known Member

AIr Asia have some cheap fares at the moment, $999.00 for return MELB To Tokyo flying out on the 24 Dec and returning in Jan 2014.

Deaprture time from melb is pretty bad and there is a stop over in KL but hey that could be fun.

Thoughts?

Depart D7 213 /522
    Melbourne (MEL) to Tokyo - Haneda (HND)
    Tuesday, 24 December 2013
    Depart 0125 Arrive 2230
    Transfer in Kuala Lumpur (KUL)

1 Guest @ 471.00 AUD 471.00 AUD Airport charges & fees 83.00 AUD 554.00 AUD
    Return D7 523 /212
    Tokyo - Haneda (HND) to Melbourne (MEL)
    Sunday, 5 January 2014
    Depart 2345 Arrive 0010 (+2 days)
    Transfer in Kuala Lumpur (KUL)

1 Guest @ 378.00 AUD 378.00 AUD Airport charges & fees 67.00 AUD 445.00 AUD
    Total AUD
    Slowpony

Slowpony Well-Known Member

Did you add in the fees for luggage, food etc?
    ratherb@thesnow

No, good point, just had another look and there are additional costs for luggage. There are a heap of different weight options but for the basic 20KG its an additional $92.00 for the return trip
    Slowpony

Slowpony Well-Known Member

I priced up a fare from Perth started at $700 finished at $1000 when I added luggage (they charge for each leg) food, even wanted to charge me for a pillow & blanket, not that cheap when you add it all together
    mick chopps

mick chopps Part of the Furniture

We looked at those flights. Not super cheap and thus not worth the o/n stop overs.
    ratherb@thesnow

yeah luggage is a must but I dont worry about food and entertainment etc, just grab something in the airport to take on the plane, enought entertaiment on the Ipad & Mac and if i get cold I just use a ski jacket l've got my own blow up travel pillow.

The departure times are pretty sad and dont work in with our travel plans but on the other had I was kinda interestted in spending a night in KL, thinking there may have been some good food experience that I could find
    Nozawaman

Nozawaman Dedicated Member

Spent a couple of nights in KL on way back last season, and was disappointed with the experience, maybe we didn't do enough research ?
    Slaine

Slaine New Member

I did the same last year. Two nights in KL. First day I was already to head to the markets and do some touristy stuff, then decided bugger that, and spent 7 hours next to the pool. [​IMG] Next day we did a tour of the Batu Caves and whatnot.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    blutek

blutek Dedicated Member

I'm getting ridiculously cheap fares showing on an enquiry on China Southern's international online reservation system (SYD-TOKYO return).

Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator

Just shows what you can do when you make your own Airbus parts......
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    Undies

Undies Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

Do not, under any circumstances, fly Air Asia with a stopover in KL. Made that mistake twice in the last 2 weeks.

They do not fly in and out of the regular terminal, but out of the LCCT, which is the low-cost terminal that used to be the old freight hangar. It is NOTHING like the normal airport. There is no fast train to get you to the city. No amenities. No space, and nothing civilised at all. You are 90km from the city at this point, and need to take a bus, although cabs are a reasonable price.

Further to this, when making our KL onwards leg we got shoved into the Y1 and Y2 gates, which once you pass customs there are no bars, nothing to eat, no toilets(!!!), no internet, and virtually no aircon. If you get routed through the normal Tgates then you get a crappy sportsbar, but if they stick you in the Y gates, you get nada.

Oh, and both of my AA flights were delayed because we needed to change a tyre. WTF?!?! When they disembarked us for the second time, you could see the canvas coming through the tyre.

I flew AA from Narita to Chitose a month or so back and thought they were on a par with Jetstar, but having flown them via the LCCT in KL I would say AVOID AT ALL COSTS.
    Nozawaman

Nozawaman Dedicated Member

A little dramatic I think ?
    Are you related to skidown ?
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
    Undies

Undies Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

Nah, just averse to really shitty airline experiences. As I said, thought they were better than Jetstar when in Japan, but in KL they were way more crap than crap.

The LCCT is really similar to a packed Indian train station. You can't move for the sweaty people, of which you're one.
    Fmr_Mr_Eski

Fmr_Mr_Eski Well-Known Member

Undies, I have flown AirAsia many many many many times. And I actually like going to the LCCT terminal, because you can actually get cheap food at the food court. If you compare it to other low cost terminals (the old one at Singapore, before pulled down, Clark Airport, Dubai Terminal 2 (and many normal terminals too) around the world it is awesome. THere may be little amenities past immigration (but there is HEAPS before), but that is why anyone with a clue does not go through immigration in a low cost terminal before they have to.

I love KL though, but I know the city really well and one of my best friends lives there, so I always try and fly via KL. But now scoot is cheaper, I tend to go via singapore (without a stopover, because singapore sucks).

There may be no fast train, but that fast train is EXPENSIVE anyway. There is a cheapish bus.

Nonetheless, in 6 months time this will all be moot as AirAsia moves over to the new KLIA2.

I've backpacked about 40 countries in the past 8 years and if it wasn't for LCC's, I'd be lucky to have travelled much at all.
    zhenjie

zhenjie Well-Known Member

AirAsia doesn't provide you with 5 star service and the KL LOW COST Carrier Terminal didn't have the facilities like Changi airport? OMG, won't somebody think of the children!
    Sandy

Re: Air Asia - Japan Flights

If you are transiting at LCCT, does that mean you are stuck in the transit area after immigration, without access to the food court, etc?

I'm heading into Melbourne for about a week and a half in mid/late August and want to know if AirAsia is worth the trouble. Round trip is about $900
    Sandy

Hmmmm...... my question may be a moot point.

Looks like KLIA2 will open in June:

The RM3.9bil-KLIA2 is expected to be completed by May 2013.

"According to our scheduling, it could be ready by May. I have expressed my desire that we should not rush into opening KLIA2 (until ready), said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.

"But as a target, I have decided that it should coincide with the date of the opening of KLIA which is June 28 (1998), so hopefully I will have the opportunity to open KLIA2 in June, in my present capacity, my present job," Najib said when launching AirAsia's 1Malaysia aircraft livery at the KLIA Low-Cost Carrier Terminal here Saturday.

AirAsia group chief executive officer Tan Sri Tony Fernandes said the special aircraft livery was part of the airline company's 1Malaysia Integration Program.

"We at AirAsia not only wear our hearts on our sleeves, we proclaim our passion to the Asean skies through the livery of our aircraft.
    krobbo

krobbo Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    Sandy

On Air Asia, you are able to pay extra for "sporting equipment". From Australia to Japan, it's runs at around $40 each way, for 15kg of sporting equipment, in addition to the standard 20kg baggage (which you can also change)
    TJ

TJ Dedicated Member

Had a 5 hour wait a few weeks ago in the LCCT. There is a sports bar in the corner that is the best place to hang out. Internet is bad. Take a book. Hoping the new Terminal will be more comfortable. Flights were super cheap so could tolerate the wait. Had to keep myself in flight mode.
    krobbo

krobbo Well-Known Member

Agree Internet was slow but at least they had free wifi. Don Muang airport in Bangkok, although a much nicer airport, had no free wifi.
    mick chopps

There's a really simple solution to that problem... Fly through Singapore and stop at the best airport in the world.
    Sandy

Or wait a couple of months for the KL2
    TJ

TJ Dedicated Member

Prefer Honkers. I actually choose a 6 hr stopover there so I can nic into town and grab some yum cha between flights. Singapore is good though. Sat outside at Harry"s Bar a number of times. I love the smell of aircraft fuel and cigarette smoke with my Tiger beer.
    Fmr_Mr_Eski

Singapore is NOT the best airport in the world. Seriously you have to be off your nut to think that. And well Singapore is a boring place, so I never bother heading in to town when I pass through. KL on the other hand is awesome.

Best idea with KL LCCT is to stay land side as long as possible. Just go to where the KFC is (past all the buses heading into town) and there are a lot of cheapish places to eat.

Anyway for the context of this thread, AirAsia Japan looks like its not happening anymore. AirAsia looks to be pulling out of its joint venture with ANA. AirAsia Japan will be absorbed into ANA's other low cost carrier Peach.
    D7 Flights to Japan (AirAsia X) from KL will not be effected however.
    mick chopps

Oh really?
    http://www.worldairportawards.com/Awards_2013/Airport2013.htm
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room

Mate Eski knows better, QED.
    mick chopps

Skytrax suggests otherwise.
    colorado

colorado New Member

actually Singapore is a lot more interesting than people give it credit for, especially if you have a few dollars to burn at the end of a trip. I go through there regularly. Taxis are cheap and local food stalls are usually good.
    One great feature is that the airport is quiet they do not call flights or passengers- if you miss the flight then stiff to you. All airports should be like that as it's far more relaxing.
    JoeKing

JoeKing Addicted Member Season Pass Holder

I agree completely.
    Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room

If you cant organise yourself then you dont deserve to hold others up. Completely agree.
    Heinz

Heinz Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

Totally agree. Very annoying listening to endless "This is a final call for passengers A, B & C bound for X. Please proceed to gate 6 immediately. Your flight is waiting to depart" - then repeated ad nauseum.

You really want to throttle those passengers. Trouble is if they don't turn up, they have to unload their bags which delays the flight anyway.
    TJ

TJ Dedicated Member

KL LCCT has the worst PA system in the world. It was seriously giving me a headache. Another reason why the sportsbar was a good place to hang out in.
    Fmr_Mr_Eski

micke choppee, Skytrax is pretty much discredited by anyone into aviation. Try posting that at airliners.net and see what response you get. Admitably that ranking isn't as bad as their airline rankings.

Singapore is boring. I do not like the place at all.
    Yes food is good. But its awesome in the whole region (and cheaper and better).
    Fmr_Mr_Eski

Also Singapore airport greatly depends on the terminal you are in. Yes Terminal 3 is great, but Terminal 1 is chaotic and Terminal 2 is just very average. Also I hate airports that keep you out of the departures area until just before. This is pretty much the game in many Asian airports.

The one great thing is the number of internet terminals. I never travel with a computer (only an Iphone), so it can be handy wasting time away.