1. Use the Force Filters Luke Guest!

Skis     Snowboard     Telemark     Clothing     Boots     Bindings     Accessories     Roof Racks     Chains     Outdoor Gear     Wanted     Free     Sold

Outdoor Gear 4 season 1 person tent

Discussion in 'Gear Swap' started by Ajmit321, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Ajmit321

Ajmit321 Active Member

Hey hey anyone got a 1 to 1.5kg 4 season tent in good condition. Has to stand up to NZ alpine environment and be 1-2 person.

Eg . Black Diamond FirstLight etc ?

2. Team Weasel

Team Weasel Active Member

Just wondering - have you been up high in NZ before? Some of the huts don't stand up to the conditions.

Get an NZAC membership. It will reduce the cost of using the huts. The weather over there has the capacity to destroy any tent, and if you dig it in / build snow blocks around it, you will still have to dig it out during the storms. You will also have a shit time if you are stuck in a tent for days on end during the aforementioned weather.

By all means have the capacity to bivvy and have some big, long days, but a tent in the NZ alpine is a very temporary structure. Use the huts!

Ajmit321, craighelo and ladycamper like this.
  3. Ajmit321

Ajmit321 Active Member

Cheers . @Team Weasel thank you for your advice. 1st year over there, probably need to engage brain more. Stayed in a few huts there they are preferable to a long stay in a light small tent as you say .

4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

The description of the climate down there is a rainy season from 1 August to 31 July, with occasional droughts lasting up to 5 days. Even in the valleys sitting in a small tent for a few days would cause tent fever pretty quickly.

5. firstlight

firstlight Active Member

Id go with this one.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nemo-Ten...883059?hash=item1a25a77c73:g:JywAAOSwImRYjBsa
    Nemo Tenshi

[​IMG]
    This is bomber. only problem is the internal pole design take a bit of practice to make work quickly
    I've 3 single wall tents and this is the best for codensation build up.
    My others are the

Northface Assult
    [​IMG]
    Easy to put up but struggles in high wind

Salewa XPD Altitude Tent
    [​IMG]
    Good as it has the highest roof and longer for more room

Ajmit321 and ladycamper like this.
  6. Moondog55

Moondog55 Active Member

I've no experience in NZ but even so I'd go with something designed over there, which really means one of the established Macpac designs, I guess the Olympus would be what I would consider the minimum although I have the Fairydown version of the Plateau. If it was I going I'd be staying in huts as much as possible

Ajmit321 likes this.
  7. Ajmit321

Ajmit321 Active Member

Thanks guys , reconsidered my budget might just get a sleeping bag now . Will save this thread .

8. frqnt

frqnt New Member

I have a brand new Mountain Hardware Direkt 2 that I could be convinced to part with, purchased for winter trips in the Southern Alps and abroad. If you are out in such a bad storm, you might want to question your weather forecasting ability.

PM if interested, genuine reason for sale - albeit regretful.

#8 frqnt, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  9. Chaeron

Chaeron Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

Plus or minus vestibule?

10. frqnt

frqnt New Member

Responded in my for sale post, ta.