16/17 telemark boots

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by BrindiCruiser, Sep 4, 2016.

1. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser New Member

when do new season telemark boots usually hit Australian stores? From what I can tell from reading on the net, there does not appear to be a heap of changes each year.

However, the 16/17 Scarpa T4 will be coming with an intuition liner and new buckles, and I am thinking that might be worth waiting for.

Have emailed a few stores, but no news yet.

Has anyone heard anything?

Or have any observations on the normal retail cycle for telemark stuff.

2. snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

Hi BC, Tele gear arrival seems even more (relaxed) / unpredictable than Alpine. Apparently Oz/NZ make up 1 % of the world ski market so we're not quite top priority for most suppliers.

I also tele and have replacement Intuition liners in my Garmont Synergies, so sounds like waiting for, Stocks udually arrive by May, with late stuff in June. Sometimes can be lucky suth an eatlh deliver in April.

I would certainly liaise with your preferred store(s), rather than guess. Be terrible to miss out - esp if your feet aren't a common size!

Goodluck. You may also learn something on OS sites like Backcountry Mag ( not the store with similar name!)

Far better though to fit buy & service boots locally - tricky things boots!!

3. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser New Member

Thanks that is helpful. I will contact the local shops. I figure the new models will not be discounted for a while, and that the old model Scarpa (without thermo liners) will get some discounting to get rid of stock.

Preferred option would still be to find a pair second hand locally - Canberra region - , but if not then I reckon I would wait for the new boots with the thermo liners.

I have a wide foot, and high arches, so I can see value in getting s proper fitting.

snowgum likes this.
  4. zac150

zac150 Well-Known Member

If your in Canberra I'm not sure you will get a set "properly" fitted unless you travel to Rythem in Cooma or Wilderness sports Jindy.

The local guys may get the sizing but I don't think they will work the boot or liner to get a proper boot fitting. This is deffinantly worth the time as it makes a huge difference in boots.

5. snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

I concur, properly fitted liners & Footfbeds a must - edp with 'problem feet'

(Had lots of issues myself & have a good stire/fitter in Melb who've been excellent - too far for you!)

6. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

i pre-ordered (registered intent) some through EMC in melbourne in around Feb this year, arrived in May

i have hobbit feet but the Scarpa Tx pros are the best fitting boot ive had, which is weird because scarpa is typically narrow

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

With a wide foot and high arch you will likely have trouble fitting in Scarpas. Trying before you buy will be essential. My feet are av width and my Scarpas (T3, T2X) have taken a lot of dialling in, and that's with thermo liners and pro fitting.

High and wide signal Crispi to me. Everest Sports in Bright have them in NTN/Tech fitting, or for 75mm take a look at an overseas buy from telemarkdown.com ensuring you talk to one of the Fey brothers there before stumping up. I got some Crispi CXPs from them a while ago.

8. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

everest sports was shutting down when i was in bright last week

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

The shop? And the distributorship?

10. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

the shop had 'closing down sale' written on it ziggy. thats all i know sorry. i had a few hours to kill in bright and thought id check it out, instead velo and the brewery got my money!!

and yeah, i can fit into scarpa hiking, running or mountaineering boots but the toe box on the tx pros is really good for me. weird huh

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

K. I heard Simon was ski patrolling at Hotham. Can't have been much cash flow from the shop.

Yeah, we have our rules of thumb about last sizes and they get a rep, but the Fey brothers say there's variation even in models from year to year so a fitting or informed advice is essential.

12. zac150

zac150 Well-Known Member

Crispi is one boot I would be careful with if your not able to try first. Ziggy is obviously very happy with his, but I have to say my experience is the very opposite of the spectrum as they destroyed by feet.

The reason is they have a slightly different bellow system which works for some but not everyone. I gave my boots to the +1 thinking that as she is less aggressive they may not press in on her feet but they did. I am not saying they are a bad boot just different.

For me boots are the one thing I will always buy locally and have fitted as a direct result of the bad experience with the Crispi, so for me I am now happy to spend the extra coin and have happy feet especially if they are boots for touring.

13. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser New Member

Had a chat with wilderness sports, and he was pretty firm that T4 will not come with thermo liners this year.

14. zac150

zac150 Well-Known Member

Is "this year" the current season or the gear which is due in, in April May 2017?

15. DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

Simon was only volunteer patrolling at Hotham.

The shop was doing fine when I popped in and saw Simon a few weeks back. I'd say watch this space.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

Yes, more evidence that boots ain't boots. Absolutely agree that you need to buy and have fitted in the flesh or have expert advice and return ability if buying online.

The other point to make is that from reading here and talking to telemarkers out there many users take time and tweaks to get a decent fit.

In terms of my CXPs, I didn't like the weight with ordinary liners so bought some Scarpa-branded aftermarket liners from telemarkdown and they didn't fit (despite advice from Intuition that they would) so then I was up for locally bought and fitted Intuitions (kudos to EMC for excellent pricing and service on that) and then tweaking.

17. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser New Member

Gear due in April may 17

18. snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

Thats T4s:

What about Excursions? Are they still available?
    Or branded Scott?? Or??

FWIW: I love my ~ 2008 Excursions (fitwise) better than my Synergies! Have even teled them on lifts in Scotland ( weight save) and they were good for a lightweight. I have the thermo model which was well worth the $50.

Of course I have a wide (E+) foot so Garmont has always fitted me better.
    And yes, EMC look after my feet too!

...trial & error! ⛷

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

Yes, Garmont is now Scott.

Anyway, I wouldn't describe T4s as telemark boots.

20. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser New Member

Touring boots? Cause they are not flash going down hills?

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

Yep. Short in the cuff, so it's harder to work the edges.

Kieran likes this.
  22. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser New Member

To avoid adding confusion, a few retailers have told me 16/17 t4 scarpa will not come with thermo liners.

23. snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

True or T3s!

24. snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

Its been a while since I shopped for touring boots. But my Excursions cost me about $50 more for thermo liners. I guess that reflects wholesale costs plus perhaps a small margin for desirability? Who knows?

What I do know after 12 seasons in 2 Garmont boots is that that the comfort / fit factor is worth it & the weght saving (200-300 gms per boot is v handy too - esp for longer trips & more vert m involved. That said, one has to actually find such a pair!!

25. stansi

stansi Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

26. telecrag

telecrag Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I like standard liners that double as hut boots for 75mm touring boots myself. But thermo for Ntn. No fitting, just teeth gritting for the first few days.

Kieran likes this.
  27. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I kinda agree, but I know plenty who would strongly disagree.

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

'Telemark' is being used as a synonym for what we used to call XCD. Anyway, of course you can tele in T4s but if you're setting out a beefier boot is a better choice and not just for tele turns.

29. RTL

RTL Active Member

Scarpa market the T4 as a touring boot, with a lot more downhill ability than an equivalent leather boot.

30. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser New Member

Well, the scarpa t4's are too narrow. Ended up finding some old excursions with a G fit thermo mouldable liner. See how that goes. For $40, it gives me another option.

Thanks for old the helpful advice.

31. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser New Member

Rather, I meant to say thanks to all for the helpful advice.

32. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser New Member

Old grave dig here, but i ended up buying a second hand pair of Garmont excursions with thermo liners. I finally got around to using over the last few days at Selwyn. I used them for resort skiing with a pair of s-bound waxable skis. First time telemarking, and it was good fun. Definitely, got me interested to try more. Gotta work a bit more on technique.

Boots were not the limiting factor for me. At least, at the moment.

33. AndrewA

AndrewA Well-Known Member

Haha. I have only ever telemarked (35yrs) and find the Garmont Excursions and Scarpa T4s excellent boots. But I suppose I've grown up through the leather boot era, so boots like these on simple 75mm bindings are way better than what we had back in the 70's. I can ski most things quite happily, which is all I need. Just not as fast as those on Alpine gear.

A